Friday 19 December 2014

PHighter Friday: Jamie

Post-transplant
I always find it incredibly difficult to explain my PH journey. Even within the small tightknit community of PH, most of our journeys are vastly different. My story starts as a disaster but ends five years later and includes a family, a job, school, and enough energy to walk five kilometers a day.

Let me start from the beginning. Firstly, I was diagnosed late… actually 23 years too late. I was born with a hole in my heart and after countless doctors’ appointments where I was either given antibiotics, or accused of lying to get out of work, I spun my car out on the busiest highway in Toronto, which finally led to my diagnosis.


After going to the local walk-in clinic, and having an oximeter reading done, I was diagnosed within the month with stage IV pulmonary hypertension.


My health for the next four years really only went downwards, oral medication did not work, subcutaneous medication did not work, and when I was finally put on IV Remodulin, while it was true that I was feeling much better, a month in a clot broke off the line and caused a minor heart attack.


The final breaking point before my life changed forever was here in Ottawa. I had chest pain so I texted my nurse coordinator who told me to go to emergency immediately. I was pretty busy, so first my wife and I signed my school loan documents before heading over. This was a VERY bad idea, my saturation levels were sitting at under 50 percent, and I was heading into full organ failure.


The decision my PH team came up with was to fly me to Toronto General for a transplant workup. It turned out that I was so far gone, that they put me at the top of the national registry immediately, and I had a double-lung transplant/heart repair within 48 hours.


As I said this was the shift in my life to make everything better. At the end of three months in Toronto, I was jogging, walking up seven flights of stairs, and doing things that I was never able to do.

 
I’m not suggesting transplant is for everyone, certainly it has its up’s and down’s, but for me, I’m the healthiest – and happiest – I have ever been.



1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm so glad you were able to get a double lung transplant and a heart repair. What are some of the challenges or struggles you have to deal with post transplant? Is there a lot of medication you still have to take? Are there negative side effects to those medications?

    ReplyDelete